Wednesday, August 8, 2012
And none contented
Things I've learned/rediscovered during my pseudo vacation from the internet. And other things I'm just dying to tell you.
1. My "spare" time is easily filled up by the people I love. I've never been in such demand, not even when I had one hanging off my leg and another hanging off my breast.
2. What "spare" time isn't devoted to staring meaningfully at my children as gems drop from their lips is quickly eaten up by my need to keep things just so.
3. Upon attempting to not give a flying fig about the squalor that doubles as the children's bedrooms, I think I may have pulled something. Or lost something. They'd say my sense of humor is missing. I'd say (in descending order) you're on your own now so no more money, get a job, and how does military school sound?
4. Nate is like me when it comes to emotional films. He, Sophie and I watched Of Mice and Men with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich, but then Nate refused to watch the end because he's read the book.
I get this. I once became furious with MathMan for renting Jack the Bear from Blockbuster. A kid so traumatized by the death of his mother that he goes mute! Fantastic! Areyououtofyoureverlovingmind? Whatwereyouthinking? !!!
If I'm alone, fine. I snivel. Sob. Wipe snot on my sleeve. Dab at the corner of my eyes with a tissue.
But when I'm with the family, none of whom seem moved by the same things that move me? They can't help themselves. They have to look at me to see if I'm getting misty-eyed. They know it embarrasses me and they make a joke of it to cover their own embarrassment.
Also - Sophie loves the movie Harold and Maude. When did you watch Harold and Maude? I wanted to know.
One night when I couldn't sleep. I watched it on Netflix.
Interesting. When I had seventh grade insomnia, I watched the numbers flip over on my sister's clock/radio while counting to sixty. The trick was to time it just right so I got to sixty as the number flipped.
How times have changed.
5. MathMan's sister sent him some information about the family's last name (Golden is the assimilated name). Suddenly his family's history has a name. A place. Birthdays. Immigration dates. A million thanks to his cousin who tracked this information down.
I only wish we'd had this information sooner because I can guarantee you that one of Nate's middle names would be Leyzer.
6. People surf the internet more during the traditional working hours than at any other time of the day. Not that it's particularly significant. I'm just glad they do.
7. I've been online off and on, most especially looking at classic car websites. If I had the resources, I could become a gearhead pretty easily. More on that is coming. I know - you're thrilled.
7.a. The Chick Fil A mess was enough to drive me offline. What a disturbing clustertug. Some of my coworkers chipped in and had CFA for lunch last Wednesday. Not surprisingly, I didn't participate. I maintain personal, petty reasons for not eating that dreck (caveat - I'd climb over dead bodies to get at one of their chocolate milkshakes), predating this current fight. For the record, I no longer drink their milkshakes either. Great for my waistline and my conscience.
Knowing my coworkers went out of their way to support that company for any number of reasons made me feel a little less sparkly happy about my job. I'd gotten a bit too comfy pretending that this could be a tiny liberal haven because it's a labor union. I'm so tired of being an ideological minority. I've bitten my tongue so many times that it's mostly numb.
8. I'm listening to the audiobook of In One Person by John Irving. I haven't read any of his work since Garp. I wasn't sure I'd like this novel, but I do. Very much. I've laughed out loud alone in my car several times. That's a bit awkward at stoplights, but I'd rather a stranger see me laugh than my family see me cry.
9. The In-Betweeners. It's just another example of how I'm really a 12 year old boy trapped in a pair of Fanx (faux Spanx).
10. Your turn. Epiphanies, random bits of knowledge, book reviews, disappointments, pet peeves, potential hobbies and/or name changes?