Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Nemesis



I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. 
In the afternoon I put it back again.
         - Oscar Wilde

Chisels, hammers, saws.
The occasional screwdriver.
To drink.
Erect, tinker, scrape, demolish.
Thank goodness for the cutting
And the pasting.
Mind the printed word. (Minding!)
The characters ever evolving,
Love them, hate them, manipulate.
Them or me?
This manuSCRIPT is my Moriarty
Or is it Voldemort?
I'd dare to say its name
If it had a title.
The trouble is.....
It does not know what it wants to be.
Nor do I.

What's driving you mad these days?  Come on...distract me!


P.S.  Ohmygawd I love MaudNewton who shows us things like this.  She's a friend of a friend, BTW.

6 comments:

  1. What's driving me crazy? Hmmm. Where to begin. Writer-to-writer, it's the 1,000+ page manuscript of a film history book (US films 1966-77) sitting on my hard drive, pleading, "Edit me! Edit me!"

    Fear of comma placement is a big part of my reluctance, too!

    Have a great weekend, ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wandering around your links here I can't help but agree about the difficulty of writing one complete novel based on the little I can truly say I know. I always tend to see things from both sides when it comes to people I'm now or have been close to which doesn't allow for much internal story tension. We're all both good and bad.

    As for my current frustration, it may be the fact that after cutting, pleating, pressing, sewing and grading I discovered I'd made two perfect left sides to a pair of black pants. Rather than waste more time trying to fix I gathered up all the bits and threw them out. Sometimes it's the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This manuSCRIPT is my Moriarty

    Brilliant!

    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there enough room on your glob to say what is driving me crazy?
    i'll just stop at stupid plastic f*cking promotional rings.
    *sigh*
    back to the bacon cheeseburger at least my grill still loves me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day. Don't know how to deal with writer's block when you are doing real writing (fiction). I have to write/edit for work (less writing now), the deadline always motivates me. Start with something--a working title. You can change it at the end. I almost always do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing is driving me crazy. Everything's fine, we're all fine here.

    ReplyDelete

And then you say....

(Comments submitted four or more days after a post is published won't appear immediately. They go into comment moderation to cut down on spam.)