Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

And Then Some Shock Treatment Takes Place

Source

Just as memes work their way through the blogosphere, we tag each other with things on Facebook.  Sometimes I play along and other times I think Favorites?  Have these people not figured out that I can't make up my mind about what to eat for lunch and they expect me to sort out my fifteen favorite authors in the Steampunk genre?

I was tagged with a couple of games.  Why not do them here and then they'll link over to Facebook?  And yes, this is me doing a bit of lazy blogging.  I'm behind on my NaNoWriMo word count and have to use my energy worrying about writing my work in progress.

So this came from Holly.  The rules (rules?) are thus:

Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen fictional characters (television, films, plays, books) who've influenced you and who will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag at least fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what characters my friends choose. 

Ready?

1.  Hawkeye Pierce from M*A*S*H, probably more from the TV show than the movie. I loved how he played with words, pretty much thought the establishment could go fuck itself and walked around in his robe with boots.  Me.  Totally.

2.  Lucy Honeychurch from A Room with a View.  I still picture her played by Helena Bonham Carter with her pouty lips and long, flowing dark curls.  My favorite line of hers "Mother doesn't like me playing Beethoven.  She says I'm always peevish afterward..."  But truly the memorable character in E.M. Forster's novel is George Emerson.  I would have given up my Baedeker for a kiss from him in the field.  (Okay, so I may have made out with the hot Italian after George died, too, but that's neither here nor there, is it?  Life is for living, yo.)

3.  Hermione Granger from Harry Potter.  I love her.  She gets on my last nerve, but I adore her. I want to be her and be friends with her and, well, corrupt her a little.

4.  Sam Stewart from Foyle's War.  She's Mr. Foyle's driver.  I love her curiosity and how humanly flawed and funny and sweet and kind she is.

5.  Donna Reed.  I mean, come on. Of course!

6.  Elaine Benes from Seinfeld.  I have been Elaine on a number of occasions and it could be argued that I still am the Elaine to a photographer in Amsterdam and a college professor in Dijon.  I am international Elaine.

7.  Rhoda from Mary Tyler Moore.  Funny. Jewish.  Always fighting her weight.  Although I am not Jewish, I'd love to be.  Considering I was raised by Midwestern Protestants of a mostly Scots-Irish background, I'm pretty danged close.  Plus I used to imagine living in her cool attic apartment.

8.  Scarlet O'Hara.  Because as Bob is my witness.  No wait.  Because tomorrow is another day, baby. If I had a dime for every time I've repeated that line to myself, I wouldn't be sweating the unemployment thing.

9.  Anais Nin.  I mean, I realize she's not really a character, or was she?

10.  Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby.  What an idiot.

11.  Harry, Alan Rickman's character in Love Actually.  Another dillhole who made Emma Thompson cry to some Joni Mitchell.  Although I speak more like the Annie character and dance more like the Prime Minister.

12.  Emma from the Jane Austen novel of the same name.  I lack her confidence and those nifty empire waist dresses, but I understand her desire to hook people up.  We're Noah standing at the foot of the Ark's gangplank pairing up the creatures so that they might live on.......or I'm just an incurable romantic and matchmaker.

13.  Geraldine Granger from The Vicar of Dibley.   I'm not a vicar nor do I play one on TV, but I've worked in a situation like hers, with a cast of characters like that.  Except they weren't as funny or interesting or British.  However, the rest of us were certain that one of us was indeed diddling farm animals.

14.  Bella from Twilight.  I know what it's like to love an Edward.  Bella needs a good therapist.

15.  Hercule Poirot.  Everytime he gets his OCD freak on by straightening a picture on a wall or lining up the items on a desk, a table or a mantle, I think "Oh, yes.  Right there.  Mmmmmm."

Your turn.  What fifteen characters have stayed with you?

16 comments:

  1. Davy Crockett, as idealized in the Disney movie. A man of honor, integrity, compassion, strength, and courage... and he dies anyway. Absorbing that lesson at age six pretty much set me up for a lifetime of cynicism.

    Can't think of 14 others, though I do recall there was a time I wanted to be either James Bond or Napoleon Solo.

    Maybe the old cop that Sean Connery played in the 1987 "Untouchables" remake. Yeah, definitely.

    There's also a couple of guys in "Showgirls" who looked like they had really neat jobs, but I don't recall any names.

    That's plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Nin was a character who was larger than life. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could get Anais Nin to corrupt Hermione Granger, that would be truly awesome. With you as photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang. Dr. Monkey beat me to it.

    Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lord ... I couldn't do this right now if my life depended on it ... but I do agree with you about Harry from the film *Love Actually* ... and that scene with Emma Thompson in the bedroom while "Both Sides Now" plays is dynamite ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thus tagged. I wouldn't let myself read your list before coming up with mine. And dang - I might have copied Rhoda! She could wear scarves on her head so cool - on me it would look like a babushka. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

    Hermione would zap you right outa town - but it would be fun to see her kick up her heals and smoke one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing up Jewish can be kind of, well, warping.

    Imagine from an early age that once a year, your extended family gets together and has an extended dinner feast, the theme of which is: "Everybody in the World Wants to Kill Us, But We're Still Here."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Love Actually and always want to smack Alan Rickman after the cd scene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nin was her own creation so I guess that makes her a character!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You might be too young to remember some of my favorites. :)
    1.Sam McCloud - Dennis Weaver "McCloud" TV show
    2.Jim Morrison - Val Kilmer "The Doors" film
    3.Alice Cullen - Ashley Greene "Twilight" film
    4.Edward Cullen - Rob Pattinson "Twilight" film
    5.Charlie Swan - Billy Burke "Twilight" film
    6.Rhett Butler - Clark Gable "GWTW" film
    7.Alex P. Keaton - Michael J. Fox "Family Ties" TV
    8.Jennifer Aniston - Rachel Green "Friends" TV
    9.Monica Geller - Courtney Cox "Friends" TV
    10.Chandler Bing - Matthew Perry "Friends" TV
    11.Rowdy Yates - Clint Eastwood "Rawhide" TV
    12.Wild Bill Hickhock - Guy Madison "Wild Bill Hickhock" TV
    13.Rose Nighland - Betty White "Golden Girls" TV
    14.Mick St. John - Alex O'Loughlin "Moonlight" TV
    15.Edward Scissorhands - Johnny Depp "Edward Scissorhands"film

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Bill and the 14 backup Mr. Bill(s) plus House. shit, I went one over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some are me - some have a spell over me. In no particular order...
    Cyrano de Bergerac
    Gandalf (Hobbit and Lord of the Rings)
    Samwise Gamgee (ditto)
    Astro Boy
    The Saprrowhawk (Ged) (Earthsea Trilogy)
    Zorro
    Olivia Jules
    Lu Tse (from Thief of Time)
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    Snoopy when he's fighting the Red Baron
    The narrator of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Don Juan (from Journey to Ixtlan)
    Petruchio (from the Taming of the Shrew)
    The Beast (from the Beauty and the Beast version with George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere)
    Scrooge from A Christmas Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I absolutely loved your list! I would have to say Elaine Benes from Seinfeld has definitely 'stayed with me' too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did my list and only copied a couple of yours! http://notfainthearted.com/2010/11/29/15-characters/

    Thinking of you a lot today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So enjoyable to read. And yes, Anais Nin was definitely a character. As was Colette. I think that they LIVED so that they could write about it.

    I just read the latest Booker winner, The Finkler Question, in which a character kinds of thinks he is (or at least he wants to be) Jewish. Your paragraph about Rhoda (who I really loved, too) was more entertaining than that whole darn book.

    ReplyDelete

And then you say....

(Comments submitted four or more days after a post is published won't appear immediately. They go into comment moderation to cut down on spam.)