Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Squirrel


The brief lull, time to myself;
Or rather
Alone in the living room

Until.

The calm exploded by energy awakened;
Hungry, anxious, jockeying for first place.
Who holds the remote is king.
When all three are under the roof of the rented split level on .75 wooded acre

But back to me, damn it.
And my time alone.

The glow of the companion
Brahms, Variations on a Theme of Haydn
Fan Fiction Composition?

The smell of litter boxes muddying an otherwise serene atmosphere.

IF! you ignore the loveseat bereft of the leather from its cushion,
Bags of clothing to be donated, (Note to self - yada, yada)
Apples to Apples on a stereo speaker (you told someone to put away that game three weeks ago),
The elliptical, the reason you're up at this hour, with no miles yet clocked,
And the squirrel.

Who at this very moment is staring through the window, head cocked to one side;
Who, if he could speak, would declare that it's well-beyond time to refill the squirrel feeder.
Yes, yes, he knows some creatures (including you) call it a birdfeeder.
But come on.

Squirrels are nothing if not realistic.

The moment of calm now over.

The Pi Shirt has descended from On High,
Or rather, upstairs,
To fill the air with the aroma of freshly-made coffee,
And a sense that if you don't get on the elliptical soon,
The day will be lost;
And somehow the squirrels (in your brain)
Will have won.


19 comments:

  1. Not for nothing are squirrels known as kings of the asphalt jungle.

    This post was real fucking swank (apart from the litter box mention, a smell less killable than that of skunkworks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking swank as a compliment. So thank you. Apologies for the mention of the litterboxes. Peeeeyew.

      Delete
  2. Yes, squirrels are hard-nosed birdfeeder fans, and they will not be denied.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would know, wouldn't you, Thunder, out there in the wild. With the squirrels and the deer and the orbs.

      Delete
  3. darn squirrels sure are needy...smiles...ha...enjoyed...and there is always something to be done...now about that coffee....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get your coffee, Brian? I'm on cup #4. Almost time to switch to wine!

      Delete
  4. Our squirrel is nothing compared to the Stellar Jays. They actually demand their peanuts by tapping on the window!

    They have me trained well. (Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious, Vikki, about your Stellar Jays. I can just picture it, those spoiled suckers.

      Delete
  5. I know of what you speak. lol. It is my morning every morning mostly as I struggle to find a moment of peace before the dog turns himself inside out waiting to see me pick up the leash. Do those damn desert bushes need watering that bad? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, your dog sounds like our cats. Everything about their biological needs are an EMERGENCY!

      Delete
    2. They have learned that their humans only understand the most simple and exaggerated methods of communication.
      ~

      Delete
    3. It's so true, Thunder. We've earned their lack of confidence.

      Delete
  6. It seems to me the person who invents an elliptical machine that allows you to sleep while it exercises your body will deserve the millions earned in patent rights.

    Since all the peanut runs to the park throughout last winter and early spring, the crows and squirrels come out to cheer us by.. Of course, they may just be looking for summer refills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susan, if I could have an elliptical with a built-in laptop and that would allow me to sleep while I run, I would never leave it.

      Why does it not surprise me that you'd commune with the park squirrels and crows? The phrase birds of a feather comes to mind.

      Delete
  7. I understand that squirrel is tasty and surprisingly meaty. Oh, and lean. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm squirrel! I hear they taste like chicken, GMB.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Francis, this link "speaks" to me on so many levels.

      First, I have been saving watching Mad Men like a squirrel hoarding for the winter. Second, Utz are my favorite potato chips. And third, the line between humor and hurt has been on my mind. I could never be a real comic because I hold back when I think someone is going to be hurt by words.

      Delete
  9. Oh, Lisa. I LOVE this post so very much!


    ReplyDelete

And then you say....

(Comments submitted four or more days after a post is published won't appear immediately. They go into comment moderation to cut down on spam.)