Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

While we wait for some balls to drop


I'm thinking in cliches.

Long time, no blog.  Tap, tap.  Is this thing on? Someone please break my fingers already.

Here I am on the last day of what has been a very strange year, glad to see it over and wishing I could go back and do so many things differently. I wouldn't be me if I didn't second guess myself.

Am I looking forward to the coming new year?  Yeah, I am. In an effort to be less like myself, I've made some resolutions. They're pedestrian and I'll likely fail at least half of them by 12:10 a.m., but like Homer Simpson says, trying is the first step to failing.

I'm on it.

One resolution is (don't be shocked) to start writing again. I've considered going anonymously so I can put it all out there, but I'm just too lazy to bother. Plus by the time I get set up to write with a new name and a new blog, it'll be 2015 and I won't have kept a single resolution, carbs or not.

And I don't think it will be a bad thing for me to have a wee self-imposed filter in place. At least for a while. After a couple of years of mind-altering pharmaceuticals, I'm afraid the emotions that have started springing out at me like my sister used to do when she knew damn well that I was terrified of monsters in the closet will come spilling out onto the screen and oh god.  That will not end well.

So I ask you to watch this space. There will be new characters and different settings. I'll fill in the gaps and try to wrap up some old plot lines. Not because I really think you care or have given it much thought, but because of that Joan Didion quote:  I don't know what I think until I write it down.

I promise you no twerking, no fiscal cliffs and no Duck Dynasty.  I cannot promise you that I won't dive head first into whatever scandals and viral goblins seize our collective imagination in the coming year. I mean, some days that may be all that stands between me and those menacing emotions.

 For now, I wish you a happy, healthy 2014. What do you plan to do differently?

27 comments:

  1. but what about duck dynasty twerking, now that would be a story...
    hey i hope you write...and have fun doing it...and even let a little of the emotion
    hang out...hey you only live once...might as well...

    happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian. The thought of Phil Robertson twerking calls for immediate applications of brain bleach.

      Glad you haven't totally forgotten the blog, Lisa. Hope 2014 is a good year for you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Nan! I hope all is well with you and that 2014 is a good year for you, too.

      Delete
  2. Decluttering, of course.

    Maybe fiction.

    Maybe I could be less boring. Do art. Come out of the 4 or so closets with swanky clothes. (ha. hahahahahahahaha.) Write stuff, as opposed to pointing at other people writing stuff.

    This may take some thought…

    Meanwhile, you have some adventures (though not involving dragons or dimwits).

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you on some of this list, D. I hope you have a wonderful 2014.

      Delete
  3. it's time for this 'ol gal to take and make some unimaginable adventures and enjoy every single minute of it, and hope I don't die. Best wishes Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dig that, Joanne. I hope you have all the adventures you can imagine and more that you can't yet think of. Happy new year.

      Delete
  4. I, too, plan to dust off the blog and write again. I also need to tie up that old project into a nice little bow and see it off right. Whether it succeeds or fails, it's mine.

    Thanks to a good friend, I also plan on a few 'creative resolutions'. I will read a Tom Wolfe book cover to cover - without maiming others in the process. I will also learn to cook Other Things...beyond the 30 or so recipes currently knocking around in my head. The current goal is one new recipe a week. Here's hoping that one sticks around longer than just 1-2 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Karen! Those goals sound interesting. I hope you'll keep up apprised of how things go. I look forward to reading more of you in the coming year. And, of course, please share those sticky recipes.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to reading your writing.

    Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy! Happy New Year to you and all your sweet friends.

      Delete
  6. Now that I have many more new years behind me than in front I at least know myself well enough not to make resolutions I'll surely break. What I did find this morning was a list written by Woody Guthrie more than 70 years ago. Most of them, like his music, are as relevant today as they were then.

    1. Work more and better
    2. Work by a schedule
    3. Wash teeth if any
    4. Shave
    5. Take bath
    6. Eat good - fruit, vegetables, milk
    7. Drink very scant if any
    8. Write a song a day
    9. Wear clean clothes - look good
    10. Shine shoes
    11. Change socks
    12. Change bed clothes often
    13. Read lots good books
    14. Listen to radio a lot
    15. Learn people better
    16. Keep rancho clean
    17. Don't get lonesome
    18. Stay glad
    19. Keep hoping machine running
    20. Dream good
    21. Bank all extra money
    22. Save dough
    23. Have company but don't waste time
    24. Send mary and kids money
    25. Play and sing good
    26. dance better
    27. Help win war - beat fascism
    28. Love Mama
    29. Love Papa
    30. Love Pete
    31. Love everybody
    32. Make up your mind
    33. Wake up and fight

    Welcome back ♡ and may 2014 treat you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I love this and am going to borrow a few to add to my list. xoxo

      Delete
  7. I love your writing..so I wish you the very best in the new year....and that much love and light and new wonders come your way.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Enigma. I really appreciate your good wishes. I hope that 2014 is a good, healthy and happy year for you. You deserve good things.

      Delete
  8. I'm thrilled to hear that you will be writing again. I've missed you. Love the Joan Didion quote. So true. Welcome back, my uber-talented friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jayne. You must know that your writing has served as an inspiration to me, even when I don't comment because I'm lazy or busy or sneaking a look at the office.

      Delete
  9. I plan on disproving the definition of insanity by doing the same old things without expecting anything different. Or going nuts. Probably.

    Happy New Year, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I love you. Happy New Year, Sarah!

      Delete
  10. I got a keyboard for x-mas and I'm gonna learn to play it as best as I'm able. Lift weights 3xs weekly (ha, we'll see) and be the best damned librarian and nana and lover this side of the country. Yeah, and then also keep on being weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear you plat sometime, L. and weird is the best. xo

      Delete
  11. I plan on whoring myself all over the web. It's my new best thing, next to twerking.

    Happy New Year, beautiful. I'm so glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Averil. That's not whoring. That's demonstrating your talent. Have I mentioned how excited I am for you?

      Delete
  12. Instead of just slouching in my chair, I'm going to really slouch in my chair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exactly how do you twerk on a blog?

    ReplyDelete

And then you say....

(Comments submitted four or more days after a post is published won't appear immediately. They go into comment moderation to cut down on spam.)