Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Snow Globe

A couple of years ago my friend Sherry Stanfa-Stanley launched the 52/52 Project which is, in her words, "jumping the curb, taking a detour from the cul-de-sac to visit personally unexplored territories."

With clear-eyed intention, Sherry shook up her life, wrote about it and made me and her other fans laugh and think. Her experiences ranged from the utterly embarrassing (going to a nude beach with her 75 year old mother) to the touching (taking a homeless person to lunch). What struck me most about this was the fact that Sherry was doing this with intention. She planned her capers and carried them out knowing that she would likely learn something about herself in the process.

Contrast that with me - a woman who shakes up her life like a snow globe and stands back, mouth breathing while the faux snow almost settles before shaking the globe again.

I think the globe may have a slow leak, as well.  Ditto the woman.

So here's the shortish version of what in the heck is going on right now. A little of this story will go a long way.

I returned to Georgia in August, trading my glamorous job working for attorneys who got bent out of shape when the water cooler emptied for one that requires me to work twelve hour days pushing paper and never getting caught up. But hey, as we like to say in this new economy, it's a job and it's not at Wal-Mart!

When I took the job in Georgia, I was happy because I thought Mathman and I had agreed that I would live in the house with him and the kids and sharing expenses. I accepted the position and its pay with that understanding.

Then Mathman changed his mind.  He "wasn't feeling it."

His timing? Not so good. He waited to drop that bomb until after I'd quit my job in Cincinnati and accepted the position in Atlanta for a salary that isn't enough to pay the rent, the bills and my child support obligation.

I tried to use my inside voice, but failed.



So  I moved back to Georgia to Blanche Dubois it in the gorgeous home of my friend and her husband. They have been beyond gracious and generous but it's been two months and my situation isn't going to change financially. I only get to see the kids one day a week because I'm working ridiculous hours, have a typical Atlanta commute (think a hangover + diaper rash) and live an hour away from "home."

(Side note: expect some future posts about the concept of home)

It became clear very quickly that I would have to find a position with a higher salary to stay in Atlanta. And those are so terribly easy to find, no?

I lined up a couple of interviews back in Cincinnati because at least there I have a place to live. The Electrician and I still have our apartment there and are trying to make our relationship work.

(Side note:  expect future posts about relationships, unhealthy and otherwise)

And then it occurred to me that there might be another option so I took a(nohter!) risk and proposed to my current employer that I continue to work for them and live in Indiana.

The risk paid off. They agreed to give it a try.

I'm living in Georgia for three more days. Beginning Monday, I will be working from home, telecommuting my twelve hours, but (can you feel the music?) not having to commute and commute and commute some more.

(Side note: expect future posts about how much I miss my kids, living alone, and drinking beer at the Legion)

So what's new with you?

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the telecommuting was available. Not so glad you'll be moving back to Indiana. Really sad that Mathman threw the kink. Nervous anticipation on the relationship stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept of home... That's a post I could use. We are in the process of buying the third home I have ever owned. The first two were lost to bankruptcy and divorce, so as you might imagine, this purchase is fraught and makes me feel as if I'm about to have the rug jerked out from under my feet. Also, my mother will be living with us for half the year. Which is great, I think, because we all love her, but she's a pretty strong-willed woman and it runs in the family.

    But like you, I have my writing. It's my quiet time and my escape, and as long as I am able to write I think it will all be okay.

    Lots of love and hugs to you, my friend.

    XO

    ReplyDelete

And then you say....

(Comments submitted four or more days after a post is published won't appear immediately. They go into comment moderation to cut down on spam.)